Subject: Re: [Leica] Doisneau pictures essence of Leica? Huh.
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 17:35:11 -0600

>to higher realms of creativity will stand up and start a thread about the
>meaning of Leica photography as defined by HCB and Doisneau and Salgado

Well, I wouldn't put Doisneau in the same category as the other two. He's
certainly has a good eye, but he creates his pictures. That's not the
essence of Leica photography. He paid models to stand around Paris
smooching. There's nothing wrong with that, people make lots of money doing
that kind of thing for advertising and such. But that's not what Leica's
are BEST at doing. What makes them stand out over any other camera.
Dosineau's pictures could be done by an 8x10 view camera. Shoot, Nicholas
Nixon's pictures with an 8x10 could be argued to me more candid than some
of Dosineau's pictures. They are best at capturing real moments in life.
That's the advantage, you might say, that most people can agree on.

Lenses? Don't dare insinuate that, you'll get slapped down by folks who say
there's no difference, or that they're not worth it.

So if we were to start a thread, about what the essence of Leica
photography, then I suspect we would

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

The arts and sciences, and a thousand appliances