Subject: Re: [Leica] dropped my binoculars
From: Lucian Chis <chis@ece.orst.edu>
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 20:05:27 -0800 (PST)

They are probably going to charge you a refusal fee after you decide not
to pay $250 or so for fixing them.
Just had my 10X25BCA at Leica (these were the ones with the 10year
warranty, before Zeiss and Swarovski pushed them to the lifetime deal
around now) and I had to pay $20 in order not to pay a cleaning fee of
$150 (Somehow there is something in the right tube, moisture I suppose!)
Check your local shops and see if there is any chance of replacing the
broken prisms locally (if they have the nitrogen facility).
On mine I am just going to make a tool (maybe $30 at the local machine
shop and open them up as these aren't nitrogen filled.

Lucian