Subject: [Leica] Japanese electronics
From: "Gary and Dawn Klein" <gdklein@bytehead.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 09:41:07 -0600

To Luggers worried about R8 electronics:

Maybe with early samples of R8 cameras there may be a problem here or there,
but as these units get out in the field, people who subject the camera to
the extremes will no doubt get back to Leica  and unannounced improvements
will be had.  Any new thing, whether it be a car, camera etc., always has
some problems that the owners manage to find, even after the most rigorous
of testing beforehand.

I had an early Nikon F3 (first one in my area right after introduction) and
I had numerous problems with the camera in the first year.  The last time it
was in the shop (total of five trips), they  replaced a ton of electronics
(under warranty/Hee Hee) and it has been happy ever after. Still have it.
Its strange, Nikon sent a special soft shutter release for that camera to
owners (still have it) and advised to keep it screwed in when the camera is
not using a cable release.  I guess they had moisture problems and were
trying to plug the leaks.

gary