Subject: [Leica] New, kind, gentle..... & pocket camera.
From: "Terry Price (Edgecombe-Coles House)" <terry@free.midcoast.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 11:13:58 -0400

One of my favourite pocket cameras is my Retina IIa. Its got a very sharp
coated Schneider f2 50mm lens, mx synch, lever film advance, nice
rangefinder, a 1 to 500 shutter and compact size. It folds nicely and
doesn't need a case. Its a rugged little thing and can still be found for
under $100 in nice shape.
The Retina IIIc is a little bit heavier and larger but has a built in
meter. the meter on mine is still accurate. It comes with 35 and 80 mm
lenses also but you don't want to mess with those, too complicated to set
up.
 Another rugged folder that I like as a good pocket camera is the Zeiss
Contessa. It has a meter and a very accurate rangefinder with a 2.8 coated
Tessar. Its not as fast to use as the Retinas since it has no lever advance
and the shutter has to be cocked each time. Its still a fun camera to use.
Being rarer it usually sells for about twice the price of a Retina IIa.
The Voigtlander Vito II and IIa are another pair of nice folding pocket
cameras with sharp and contrasty f3.5 Color-Skopar lenses. $70-$80 on eBay
often.
Getting out of 35 film the ultimate pocket folder is the Super Ikonta A.
It's about the same size as the Retinas, has a 3.5 x 75 mm Tessar, a good
rangefinder  and takes 4.5 x 6 cm negatives on 120 film. Mine has x synch
and an uncoated lens. They can be found with mx synch and coated lenses but
be prepared to pay a lot for them. The Super Ikonta C will actually fit in
your pocket and gives a 6x9 negative.
My Leica III with a collapsible 3.5 Elmar also fits in my pocket. I just
don't like scratching it up with my keys and junk in my pocket.
I own and use all the above. There are lots more classic folders out there
that make great pocket cameras.

Terry