Subject: RE: [Leica] Design Thievery
From: "Kotsinadelis, Peter (Peter)" <peterk@lucent.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 11:35:53 -0800

Marc,

Since you are a lawyer, I won't split legal hairs with you.  But when
Rudolph (Zeiss employee) designed the Tessar as a modified lens based on
Taylor's Triplet (1894) was this borrowed?  Also, the Zeiss Biotar of 1911
was a high-speed modification of the Petzval-lens, Dr. Petzval was employed
by Voigtlander, did Voigtlander sell Zeiss this lens design?
Dr. Smakula's patent for a lens coating (patented in 1935) was based on the
earlier findings of Josef von Fraunhofer, (1817) who noted that weathered
surfaces enabled higher light transmissions, and those of Dennis Taylor
(1904), an English optician who used an acid treatment to lower the
refraction index of a surface.
Wasn't the Contax I of 1932 with its focal plane shutter very Leica-like in
its design (borrowed design ideas perhaps?).
My points are not to piss you off, but to simply point out that people do
borrow from others.
BTW, when did Zeiss buy Goerz?
Peter K