Subject: Re: [Leica] standardize
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 17:50:28 -0700

Joe Stephenson wrote:

> Dear Mark,
> I hope you don't mind if I answer your question. I standardized on certain
> films and developers and process so that I can be more creative with the
> photo. If I have process control, I can normally look at a scene and have an
> idea how it will look in a finsihed print. To me, this approach increases
> the chances of a good end product and fewer unpleasant surprises in the
> darkroom.
> Sincerely,
> Joe Stephenson
> ++++++++++++++++
> Mark wrote:
> Dr. Hubert and Mr. Erwin,
> I used to always hear "standardize" from people who always used the same
> 400 film for everything. I didn't agree with that approach to great
> artistic or commercial photography. I wouldn't think youse would either.
> So what would "standardize" mean to you? If this is a key to great work
> anyone would be extremely interested.
> Sin/cerely,
> Mark Rabiner

Thanks for addressing this thread. I am studying your reply. I'm
realizing more-so that it is thought provoking at least for me. Just
what is it that what should be standardized and what gets thrown into
the sea of chance. I'm going to do my paragraph or two on it next week.
What are your constants? I ask the group. Or do you have any? Mine is my
paper, I have always stuck with multigrade, usually fiber glossy,
sometimes rc. When I deviate, I regret.
Today a bought a hundred sheet box of the chocolate for the first time.
If it's not the Greatest thing since Cassias Clay I'll bite it.
Mark Rabiner