Subject: [Leica] Re: New, kind, gentle..... & pocket camera.
From: "Michael D. Turner" <mike@lcl-imaging.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 19:19:09 -0800

At 11:13 AM 1/11/1999 -0400, Terry Price (Edgecombe-Coles House), you wrote...
>One of my favourite pocket cameras is my Retina IIa. Its got a very sharp
>coated Schneider f2 50mm lens, mx synch, lever film advance, nice
>rangefinder, a 1 to 500 shutter and compact size. It folds nicely and
>doesn't need a case. Its a rugged little thing and can still be found for
>under $100 in nice shape.
<snip>
My first "real" camera; I talked my father into buying a IIa from my high
school biology teacher. A wonderful camera (leaf shutter, btw) in excellent
condition considering it had done duty in Korea. I suppose it's partly my
experience of that camera that eventually drew me to my recent acquisition
of an M4.

I did a lot of close-up work with that camera by building special frames
used with +diopter lenses. Eventually, I migrated to an SLR: Exakta VxIIa
with, of course, a Schneider f2 lens.
Mike

"Sing whatever is well made..."
- -W. B. Yeats