Subject: Re: [Leica] Help thinking about a 90 M lens.
From: Andre Jean Quintal <megamax@abacom.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 20:05:43 -0500

At 14:31 -0700 12/01/99, Mark Rabiner wrote:
>George Hartzell wrote:
>>
>snip
>> Now I need a lens. snip
>> At the moment, I'm a bit financially constrained, so I'm looking at:
>>
>my vote 1) 35mm/2.0. ASPH Has the highest equation of
>dollar/usefullneses/quality. It is on my camera now and I'm going out
>with it. I something's bring the fifty along  as well as it is so light
>I don't feel in in my sidebag and it of course is useful. my 90 elmirit
>weighs me down, so I bring it along only when I'm going out to only
>shoot. A recent posted list puts it as one of the all time great lenses
>out there but Erwin says it trails behind the very latest. Perhaps the
>list was not so current?
>Mark

	1/ In LEICA M, the obvious MOST USEFUL
		"all around" lens has to be the 35mm f/2 ASPH
		Summicron wide-angle
	  then the 90mm f/2.8 Elmarit,
	 if exceptional long-term performance-value is sought,
	 and both have been lauded by Mr Puts.
	These two lenses make a truly powerful combination.

	 I seldom use 50mm, but someone with more standard
                 notions certainly would love the current Summicron f/2 50mm
	 at C$900 LESS than the 35mm Summicron-M f/2 ASPH,
	which i presume are probably the 2 most sold current models.

	Would there be a less expensive LEICA-M 75mm, say an APO-
	Summicron-M 75mm f/2.8 design, that would be the one for me,
	as it's a general focal length area i love,
	with a 35mm f/2 ASPH Summicron as Leica-M system foundation,
	with a Leica M6-TTL.

	2/ The APO 90 f/2 ASPH is C$1000+ extra
	    over the 90mm Elmarit f/2.8, in Canada.
	    There are not, usually, that many situations that DEMAND
	    more than f/2.8, especially in such a stable camera
	    as the Leica-M. NOT questioning the performance increment.

	    To a professional, however, the extra C$1000 makes real sense.

	    But I'd personally tend to spend it on a 35mm Summilux f/1.4 ASPH
                    ( + C$1400 ) as i use a wide angle 5 to 1, considering
the veiled
	    enthusiasm of Mr Puts' evaluations, THEN the APO 90 ASPH,
	    would I be a professional photographer.

	3/ I think people getting such LEICA lenses today will never regret it
	    and could easily enjoy such a very  L-O-N-G  time before they
	    really become obsolete.

	Andre Jean Quintal

   Before you judge me,
   try hard to love me,