Subject: [Leica] Leitz CL repair question
From: "Christopher Nauta" <summarex@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 18:10:58 PST

- -
Last week I purchased a leitz-minolta CL with a 40/2 rokkor at a local
camera store for 50$. The owner told me that the camera was broken(i
quickly fixed the shutter by puling out on the jammed meter cell arm!),
his repairmen wouldn't touch it, but the rokkor would mount on my M3,
and function as well as any other Leitz M-mount lens. Being new to the
world of leicas, I hesitated- but alas, reasoned that a 40 would be
useful, as the only leitz lens i owned was a 85f1.5 m-mount. I bought
the CL and lens, and the owner threw in a 90/2.8 tele-elmarit with a
trashed front element.
THE PROBLEMS:
  The exterior of the CL is in really nice shape, however:
1. Rangefinder lines up horizontally, but not vertically
2. shutter is lazy in slow speeds, high speeds seem slow too.
3. Meter is erratic, cell looks a little funky.
THE questions:
Can anyone comment on the cost-effectivness of repairing this camera?
Is it too far gone?
I like the small CL body, and fact that it has a meter very much. I also
wouldn't feel as bad beating it up a bit. I have hangups about carting
my M3 around some places, and this camera would be ideal in that regard.
Who is the person to send it to for repair?
Are there Leica parts "freaks" out there who might have a front element
for the tele-elemarit?
- -thanks for any suggestions/comments.