Subject: [Leica] RE: 50 1.4 Test Results, and magazines
From: Jim Brick <jimbrick@photoaccess.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 15:15:26 -0800

I let my Pop Photo subscription expire years ago. There wasn't anything in
there that was of interest to me. Especially the equipment tests.

There is really only one test. Use the equipment yourself. If the results
please you... test done! Buy it.

If there is something you don't like about it... test still done! Don't buy it.

Magazines are notorious for being biased toward certain equipment
manufacturers and photographers. Just look as Outdoor Photographer. It's
nothing but a forum for the featured photographers and their equipment
choice. At least the magazine is not dim witted enough to run "optical
bench" tests on various pieces of equipment. A single plus in their favor.
A bunch of numbers spewing out of a computer are of little meaning in real
photo life.

Photo Techniques, Camera Arts, View Camera, Viewfinder, Rangefinder, and
Photograph America, are my current magazine choices.

When you read tests in these magazines, it's usually some guy, standing in
a lab, in a studio, or out in the field, using the equipment, explaining
how it works, what's good and what's bad, and then explaining the results
look like. And why. You can at least equate a particular real life
situation with the results. Other magazines simply re-hash the
manufacturer's promotional hype.

If you yourself like what you yourself have done, that's all that counts.

David Vestal had an excellent article in the latest Photo Techniques,
dealing with B&W, mentioning Leica, etc.

Jim