Subject: Re: [Leica] ethics of staging
From: dmorton@journalist.co.uk (David Morton)
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 3:29 +0000 (GMT Standard Time)

MJS wrote:

> A cheap shot, and a canard.  No, the picture wasn't "staged":  it was a
> shot of the second flag-raising.  The first flag had been too small to
> be
> readily visible from the rest of the island, so a "battle flag" (One Big
> Momma, and who among us knows the dimensions?) was substituted, and the
> Rosenthal's shot is an unstaged recording of that elevation.  There are
> pictures, incidentally, of the "first" flag-raising, as well:  my
> father's
> best friend in college was one of the folks involved in this one.

The first flag measured 54 inches by 28 inches, the second was 8ft by 4ft
8 inches. See Harold Evans' book 'Pictures On A Page', page 146.

I hereby submit my application for the LUG 'No Life', section. :-)

David Morton                       |  "Times are bad. Children no
dmorton@journalist.co.uk           |  longer obey their parents and
David.Morton@openconsulting.co.uk  |  everyone is writing a book."
(+44) 171 917 6272                 |  Marcus Tullius Cicero (106-43 BC)