Subject: Re: [Leica] Help thinking about a 90 M lens.
From: Jeff Segawa <jsegawa@jademountain.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 20:29:42 -0700

- -----Original Message-----
From: George Hartzell <hartzell@corp.webtv.net>

>Now I need a lens.  I've thought about just holding my nikon lenses in
>front of the body, but that seems pretty clumsy.
>
>At the moment, I'm a bit financially constrained, so I'm looking at:

If you're *that* financially constrained, stop on by and I'll give you a
75mm enlarging lens that I got with my enlarger-mount it into a body cap and
hope that it's fixed focus is at some handy distance :-)

> 1) 35mm/2.0.  I think that i want the release just before the current
>    ASPH.  It sounds reasonably good and seems to be available for
>    around 800.  How hard is it to find replacement hoods for this
>    lens if I buy one that's "w/out hood" (note: I'm not planning
>    ahead for when I join the "dropped my M6 on the floor club).

I think mine may be a bit older than that, but it's a lovely piece of glass;
think mine (black, Canadian, s/n 248xxxx) is from the M4-P/M4-2 era--feel
free to chime in with more accurate info on this lens!-- and does flare more
easily than new glass, but it's a fairly tame sort of flare--localized loss
of contrast, but no sharp-edged blotches of light on the image. The lens
hood and cap are real expensive if you go out and buy a new set from your
Leica dealer. I paid around $105 for the set. The current parts are a
perfect fit, mechanically and cosmetically. You could probably pick up used
parts at a swap meet for $15, but I was in no mood to wait for the next one,
and possibly, come away empty handed!

Jeff Segawa
See my photography online at
http://www.netone.com/~segawa