Subject: RE: [Leica] 39mm FLD Filter??
From: "Tim Atherton" <timphoto@nt.sympatico.ca>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 20:27:57 -0700

>Anyone know where to get 39mm (and other) Leica FLD or 30 Magenta and
> also 81C and EF?  At least four FLDs needed (3 of us in same
> predicament).

Okay,

I just checked in my catalogue mountain. Calumet specifically does not list
the B&W FLD filter in 39mm, although they do list a number of others in
39mm. None of the others list any in 39mm, although I believe some
manufacturers make them.

I know that Singh Ray (known for their graduated filters) makes FLD type
filters in 39mm. HOWEVER, they are resin and so they scratch easily. They
also used to make them to specific formulations for specific film types,
because each film responds differently to fluorescent. Unfortunately, film
changes so quickly these days you can't keep up. Mine are 8-9 years old, and
still work pretty well with some films. Others, you can get too much magenta
cast (also depends on the fluorescents, which are changing all the time
these days as well!). But they may have a more up to date solution. (check a
magazine add for their address - can't find it right now).

NOW, my most recent solution will probably get me thrown off the LUG, but
here goes.

I have been doing quite a lot of colour documentary recently, a lot indoors
under flourescents. I have found that Cokin FLD's are excellent. Yes, they
scratch easily. They are also kind of clunky. But, they are also cheap - so
buy a new one if it scratches.. You can also change them easily from one
lens to the next. Best of all, I don't know how they formulate them, but
they are incredibly tolerant of mixed light sources, different brands of
fluorescent, and even a certain amount of daylight. The holder does cut into
the M6 viewfinder, bit you can always cut a corner off if you really want.
You can get the holder mounts in weird Leica sizes like 39 or 46mm - but you
may have to hunt for them (try Porters mail order). You can also get 81C etc
equivalent I think - just don't get any of those weird tobacco graduated or
starburst filters!!

In fact, I have found that the Cokins deal so well with mixed fluorescent, I
have been using them on my 4x5 for interior architectural shots. Daylight
and fluorescent used to kill me before.

The other alternative of course is to use print film! Fuji Reala (and
whatever it has been replaced with) has a layer built in to deal with
Fluorescents. Fuji NPS is the 4x5 equivalent and again it does wonders in
mixed light - even with tungsten thrown in as well.

Tim Atherton,
Tim Atherton Photography,
PO Box 515,
Yellowknife,
NT, X1A N4,
Canada.

Ph/Fx 867.669.9874

DOCUMENTARY * REPORTAGE * EDITORIAL * ARCHITECTURAL