Subject: Re: [Leica] Help IDing Old Leica
From: "Mark Hammons" <astair@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 22:21:07 -0600

>After spending the last two weeks visiting what seems like every Leica-related site on
the web, and checking the meager
>photography section at the town library, I'm in need of assistance.  I have an old Leica
camera that belonged to my grandfather
>-- allegedly "liberated" during/following WW II (according to my dad).  I'm guessing the
camera hasn't had a roll of film run
>through it in at least 35 years, but it appears to still work, though maybe a little
sluggish.  I've narrowed it down (I think) to being a
>IIIc or IIIf, but would appreciate any additional information someone may have.
>
>The serial number is 385489.  It has an Elmar 5cm/3.5 collapsible lens.  The RF/VF
windows on the back are next to each other
>on the left side of the camera.  All markings are in black, except for the number 30 on
the top and front shutter speed dials.  The
>max shutter speed is 1/1000.  The shutter release is different from anything I've seen in
any pictures on the web.  It sticks up ~
>7/8" from the top of the camera and has two holes in the side, one at 6 o'clock and one
at 9 o'clock, when viewed from the back.
>They don't appear to be threaded -- possibly for flash cords?
>
>Q)  Can anyone tell me for sure what model this is and approximately when it was
manufactured?

According to serial number list AND your description it is a IIIc and was manufactured in
1941 or 1942.
Unscrew the lens and check to see if the shutter curtains are red instead of the standard
black.
The only thing I don't understand is the shutter release unless it is one of the delay
timers -- but then
I think it would stick up further than 7/8 inch.   The lens is most likely uncoated ( GIve
serial number
and I can tell you what the books say).

Also,  Does it have any engraving that says "Eigentum"?

>Q)  Is it worth repairing?  I'd love to if it's worth it.

If its a plain jane wartime IIIc then it is a bit more valuable than the standard IIIc's
I think a complete CLA from DAG or Sherry will run between $150 and $200.  Assuming
its in EX shape or better and since you got it for "free" -- I would personally consider
having it worked on.

>Q)  If so, do you recommend anyone in particular from the "Leica and other Camera Repair
Resources" page?

I think only DAG and Sherry still work on the LTM cameras in the US.