Subject: Re: [Leica] Seeking Elmarit-R 19 Advice
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 00:00:24 -0600

>I recall various posts where people praised this lens, or at least some
>versions of the 19.  Is the 19 of this vintage a good one?  What experience
>have any of you had with filters?

No, this lens can't touch the new one. But the difference in price between
it an a good used newer 19 is about $1,000. The 21 f/4 is a better lens
optically, except, of course at 2.8. The reason Leica doesn't recommend
filters with the lens is the light is travelling at such an oblique angle
at the edges that it refracts and causes aberrations. At least that's what
I was told. The new one has filters built in. Alas, a polarizer is not
possible in this case. But there is a way to take an extra shade for this
lens and build a filter holder. Pete Stone from Portland, Oregon told me
about it. I have an extra shade, but I haven't tried it yet.

If you can afford it, hold out for the new 19. It is an amazing lens. One
of the best wide angle (not just ultra-wide) that Leica makes. And a heck
of a lot cheaper than the 15, which would be my choice if I had the $$$$.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is
that it has never tried to contact us."  - Calvin and Hobbes