Subject: Re: [Leica] wrotten journalists??
From: Alan Ball <AlanBall@csi.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 16:20:30 +0100

Peterson_Art@hq.navsea.navy.mil wrote:

>      Also, while I agree with Alan that we should not "insinuat[e] that the
>      editors and labs are crooked," per se, it is nevertheless difficult to
>      believe that magazines wouldn't be influenced, if perhaps only in very
>      subtle ways, in their reviews of the products of manufacturers who pay
>      to advertise in them.  This is only human.

Art,

One should always exert scepticism when confronted to any media.
Confidence in a publication, a writer, a test lab takes time to build,
and takes energy on both sides (media and public) to maintain. There are
always interactions between all the players in this game: reader,
viewer, advertisement buyers, advertisement sellers, writers,
publishers, etc. Those are sometimes direct, sometimes very subtle and
indirect. You are right. Why would it not be so ?

The journalist has a mission in this game that is different to the
mission of the publisher or the mission of the sales team of the media.
It is his role and pride to always make sure he is not confusing
missions and ensures the credibility of his media: without credibility,
no audience and without audience, no advertisement. Of course there are
all kinds of audiences, and some seem to really prefer crap. They get it
when they ask for it.

I realise I behave slightly more politely with suppliers who support my
media than with suppliers who do not. That means I might insist real
hard to get an interview there and a little less hard here. Or that I
will double check that that supplier's name has not been accidently left
out of a survey. But I have never changed a line to please an
advertiser. I suppose the same goes for most of the testing and
previewing of products in most photo mags. I pity those who do not
behave in this way. They exist but they are few.

So, at the end of the day, there are magazines, journalists and readers.
With a wide variety of means and aims and expectations. All deserve
respect till proven that this respect is undue.

Alan