Subject: Re: [Leica] Noctilux fever
From: dmorton@journalist.co.uk (David Morton)
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 0:00 +0000 (GMT Standard Time)

Martin V. Howard writes:

> With all the recent ranting and raving about the Noctilux, I thought I'd
> add a (sane) comment to the contrary.
>
> I don't have the Noctilux.  I have no desire for it.  I fail to see the
> reason for spending horrendous amounts of money on a lens for one more
> extra stop, when using one stop slower shutter speed & bracing, or
> one stop EI faster film will do the trick.

The key phrase here is "depth of field", or rather lack of it.

The one thing you *cannot* duplicate with a 50mm f1.4 and faster film (or
a tripod, or whatever) is the particular look which comes from having a
really shallow DoF.

Now whether you like that look or not is a personal thing, but the only
way to get it is with a wide aperture.

David Morton                       |  "Times are bad. Children no
dmorton@journalist.co.uk           |  longer obey their parents and
David.Morton@openconsulting.co.uk  |  everyone is writing a book."
(+44) 171 917 6272                 |  Marcus Tullius Cicero (106-43 BC)