Subject: Re: [Leica] (w)rotten journalists??
From: Dominique PELLISSIER <pelliss@droit-eco.univ-nancy2.fr>
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 12:07:58 +0100

At 12:55 15/01/99 +0100, Erwin wrote :
Now the typical magazine-contributor or journalist. He/she must produce x
pages of editorial content per month about topics or products that are news
in that period.
(snip)
Typically a contributor/journalist will spend at most a day or less on a
product test. Remember he/she is paid per page. If you have to spend a full
week for a serious analysis, but your editor gives you only two pages
edtorial space, what do you do? A week labor is then just too much, so what
happens is a let us see what we can do approach.
>Erwin

######################
Yes and no. In France,we have some reviews which work with freelance
journalists only. But we have also 2 reviews which work with salaried
journalists :Réponses-photo and Chasseur d'images. The former belongs to
the british group Emap ; the latter is a familial group.
The strength of CI is there : owned by an independent group, with 100,000
subscribers and 500,000 readers, they can resist to pressures from
announcers.They have credibility.
For instance, Polaroid has never published an ad because CI had criticized
too much a product.On the contrary, Contax advertises on in spite of a
negative test of the G1.Very clever.
BTW I read on the LUG :"PUBLICATIONS DO NOT ALWAYS AGREE WITH EACH OTHER.
TESTS ARE NOT ALL THE SAME.  COLORFOTO seems to place all German made
lenses in the top spot!!!
Chasseur D'Image seems to do the same with Nikon, and the list goes on "
Allegation totally false for CI.
Replace journalists by politicians, real estate agents ,etc and you have
the same discourse.

Dominique Pellissier