Subject: Re: [Leica] R Hard to Focus
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 1999 08:09:55 -0600

>Eric, are you telling me that if you took your 35 summilux and a 35 elmarit
>into a dark room, that you could focus as well with both lenses?

No, not with focusing efficiency. I somehow missed we were talking about
viewfinders. The color in the viewfinder is a non-issue as far as I'm
concerned. The issue should be how easy it is to focus. And my experience
is that Leica R are much easier to focus than any autofocus body I've used,
and they're way brighter than a Nikon F3. I'm sure one reason Leica
viewfinders are bluer is they are silvered, where Nikon's are aluminized.

I can't imagine anyone being able to have focus problems with Leica R
bodies. I'm sure it's true, but I can't imagine why. You put a bright
screen in the R4 through 7 or use an R8 and the viewfinder is significantly
brighter than older Nikons and Canons, and much easier to focus than the AF
viewfinders of modern cameras. In my experience. But I just had my eyes
tested, and they're now both 20/15. (One used to be 20/10).

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

"We'll cross that bridge when we come to it." Ted Kennedy