Subject: [Leica] Re: How does a Leica M6 age?
From: Ken Wilcox <wilcox@tir.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 1999 14:39:01 -0500

My 90s vintage M6 has failed twice, not counting the time I dropped it. The
first was the film counter that died after about 3 years of light use. Last
year the meter circuit also failed and was replaced. (None of my other M
bodies have ever failed)

Ken Wilcox

>It says in the Leica brochure that the camera is lovingly handcrafted on the
>thighs of Bavarian virgins to last until eternity and beyond, blah blah, etc
>etc, but what is the reality? They certainly seem well built  (the cameras I
>mean), but what are the parts that fail first, what are the signs of wear,
>just how much (ab)use can they take?
>
>Does the colour of the white metering spot on the shutter curtain of the M6
>change with age and is it enough to affect the metering accuracy? How
>permanent is the white stuff, and what is it anyway?
>
>Does anyone with any of the early M6's have any thoughts on this?
>
>All the best
>Alex

- ----
Ken Wilcox                             Carolyn's Personal Touch Portraits
LHSA, MEA, LAW                      preferred---> <wilcox@mail.tir.com>
                                                     <kwilcox@gfn.org>