Subject: Re: [Leica] TTL metering and incident light
From: tedgrant@islandnet.com (Ted Grant)
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 1999 12:51:23 -0800

John Hudson wrote:

>>Having only very minimal experience of TTL metering I am wondering how the
>>R series TTL meters "address" the issue of incident lighting conditions.>>>

Hi John,

The R camera's read the reflected light off the subject seen in the
viewfinder which of course is the incident light falling on the subject. So
in effect the R cameras address the incident light very well.

Actually the R8 is quite incredible for it's consistantly perfect
exposures. You just frame the picture to your liking and click.....perfect
exposure. Sure there is a limited amount of experience required in deciding
which of the metering modes one wishes to use. However, the camera is so
efficient that it basically is idiot proof for exposure.

One must be carefull when shooting 'chrome films to remember to bracket,
simply because the camera metering system is so good, you can become
exposure complacent allowing the camera to do it's thing. Of course you end
up with 36 perfect exposures, but some might be better to the eye of the
photographer when viewing on the light table if they were a stop darker or
lighter.

But that is the personal preference of the photographer even though he or
she maybe looking at a perfectly exposed frame selected by the camera.

If you're considering R purchase, my first choice would be the R8, second an R7.
The R7 also has excellent metering, but not as good as the R8.
ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant