Subject: [Leica] Re: RE: exposure rules
From: George Huczek <ghuczek@sk.sympatico.ca>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 18:21:11 -0600

Harrison wrote:
>This hads been being done in publishing for a while now.
>For example several years ago...1989 the photographer I work with was
>doing a photo of a building at sunset.
>The building was a 15 story building..tallest in the community and all
>red brick and is rather modern looking.  David had the building framed up
>with the top of the courthouse and the tall building to contrast old and
>new...a very nice shot.  In the photos where the buildings looked good
>the sky was totally clear on th slide.  When the sky looked good the
>buildings were black.
>So when the scans were done and the plates made to print the magazine two
>slides were combined.  One of the buildings and another of the sky to
>make a very nice cover.
>I have uploaded a copy of that cover if you care to see what it looked
>like.  Go to:
><http://people.delphi.com/hmphoto/98RCcover.jpg>

Thanks for pointing this out.  You could not do this shot with a neutral
density graduated filter, because the sky is uneven, and the top of the
building would have to be masked off, and it would be noticeably different
in brightness from the bottom of the building.  You may be able to get a
slight gain of a stop or two by using an unsharp mask, but the computer
manipulation does make an interesting picture indeed.