Subject: Re: [Leica] Ricoh GR 21mm/3.5 LTM Lens Announced
From: D Khong <dkhong@pacific.net.sg>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 20:28:44 +0000

>Ricoh will release a new 21mm/3.5 LTM lens on 3/26/99.  Like the GR
>28mm/2.8, production will be limited (1,000 silver; 700 black).  A
>lightweight aluminum finder (much lighter than the GR 28mm finder) and
>metal lens hood is included; retail price will be 110,000yen for the
>silver lens and 115,000yen for the black lens.

I used the Avenon 21/2.8 LTM lens when it was introduced about 2-3 years
ago.  I traded it in for the 21 SA f3.4 after using it for about two
months.  I  vaguely remembered that the Avenon pics lacked  the "umph" of
the leica lenses that I am familiar with.  It will be interesting to see
how the Ricoh lens will fare.  I am not familiar with MTF curves but have
so far relied on my ocular senses to tell me what is nice to look at.  I
wonder why the production is planned on a limited basis?

Incidently, I have heard good reports about the 21/2.8 Biogon G-lens which
is not terribly more expensive than the Ricoh but has the advantage of a
near one stop faster.  Add AF and TTL metering on top of that, the Biogon
lens seem like a better 21 lens to have.

Dan K.