Subject: Re: [Leica] "cold" lens rendition
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 11:09:58 -0600

>Or is it marketing: a group of suppliers caters for the lovers of blue
>renditions and another group for the lovers of yellow renditions, all of
>them (except one) carefully avoiding 'neutrality'  ?

As a matter of fact, film is developed with biases as well. Fuji, Kodak and
Agfa have biases in their films that are perceptually discerned. It's a
well-known fact.

And why set up straw men to knock down? Who said anything about pre-press?
I never said I saw a color variation in prepress that shows differences
between the lenses. I'm talking about looking at raw chrome film. There are
rare occasions, when the best reproduction might make it easy to spot some
Leica characteristics (not color in this case) in a photographer's take.
Such as Robert Magubane's work in South Africa in National Geographic. I
didn't know him from a hole in the wall when I saw his stuff and said to
myself - that's Leica.

Sure enough, the next month in American Photo there was a picture of
Magubane standing next to Sara Leen (of the Philadelphia Inquirer at the
time) in South Africa, and an SL Mot hanging on his neck.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

He doesn't have much of a reputation, or so I've heard.