Subject: AlanRe: [Leica] "cold" lens rendition
From: Alan Ball <AlanBall@csi.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 18:42:04 +0100

Eric Welch wrote:

> >This added to discussions
> >related to the fact that you considered that the web publication of low
> >res JPEG files was a proper way to show off the imaging specificities of
> >Leica lenses (the 'Cool Leica Pictures" thread of a few months ago).
>
> I made no such claim. I call them cool Leica pictures because they were
> taken with Leicas. You make a lot of assumptions based on what you think I
> mean, based on some prejudice you have. Get off your high horse.

"I dare you to use a point and shoot and come even close to most of the
pictures on my web site." (Eric Welch 07/04/98);

"There is no way the tonal modulation of my stained glass pictures would
come through with a Stylus Epic and ISO 800 film. Maybe you need to
calibrate your monitor, but there is no digital camera, except maybe the
Leica S1, Leaf (or one of the other high end ones that cost $30,000)that
could match the tones in those pictures, even on the web. I know, I use
a $14,000 (now $10,000) digital camera at work, and I know what its
pictures look like...<snip>... And if you can't see the difference on
the web, well, I won't argue that you can or can't. But I surely can."
(Eric Welch 08/04/98)

Just for the sake of it: the context was a thread discussing the idea
that it may be possible or not possible to do justice to leica glass
through Web publishing. I clearly understood your position as being the
one summarized in the post you are answering to.

I propose that we go on with this privately, if it has to go on...

Alan

Alan