Subject: Re: [Leica] M6s Scratching film
From: COLBYG@ULV.EDU
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 18:34:29 -0700 (PDT)

This is good advice...

> Don't rule out the lab.

> If they are using a roller transport or any type of processor where the
> film is pulled through it is possible they are scratching the film.

	I've seen this happen once in a while at the budget grocery store lab
we use for snapshots.
	But all the film scratched so far was processed by me, either by hand
in steel tanks or on steel reels in a Wing-Lynch machine. It has to be one of
the bodies.
	My test with Tri-X revealed no obvious scratches, from either body, but
I haven't yet tried to scan the negatives.

	Does anyone know if there are any "usual suspects" within the body? The
pressure plate comes immediately to mind. Someone wrote that small dust
particles can make the scratches. I'm especially concerned about the force
required on the rewind crank; it's much more than that required on the Nikons.

- -Gary S. Colby