Subject: RE: [Leica] Ansel Adams, Yosemite NP, and Moonscapes
From: Walter S Delesandri <walt@jove.acs.unt.edu>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 21:15:38 -0600 (CST)

You know, this is an interesting thread.......Prior to the 70s,
photograph ownership was sort of vague.   I don't know if even
Adams and the others understood what their contracts meant.....

It's "fairly" simple now, you own it if you push the button....
unless you sign away that ownership in a "work for hire" agreement.
These agreements are warned/fought against  by the ASMP, as well
as other organizations.....but still, if you don't sign it, it
can't affect you....if you do, it "depends"!!!  (more damn lawyers
on the horizon, just what we need :)

However, let me play devil's advocate:  How many good "staff photo"
jobs have been lost to those of us who still prefer this kind of
employment? (I have on, thank God)  I can see an employer's opinion.
If we hire a staffer, HE owns copyright.....if he signs a contract,
then gets a killer shot/story, we may have to fight it in court (always
a loss when you bring in the lawyers)------screw the staffers,
lets just hire a freelancer!  There's so many hungry ones, they'll
fight for the job!!

I wonder IF Adams/Smith/etc. would even be HIRED by DOI or Life today,
with todays copyright/ownership squabbles?  The DOI would send
one of their drones, Life etc. -- well who knows?

I'll gladly take a photo gig like Smith/Eisie had -- AND have lifetime
benefits......but it ain't the 90s way........
Luckily, my job isn't "photographer", and I've signed nothing that
jeopardizes my "ownership" of my own stuff.....but I wonder.......
IF I hit on something valuable, who would bring up the question
of "who" paid for the film and "where" it was processed and "who"
owns it, yadayadayada.........I've had a scare such as this once
before.....because "some" of "all" my photography is done on "company
time" and property.......
I've traded my "freelance" status for one of a paycheck and (presumed)
lifetime benefits for myself and family (I get sick or disabled, the
checks continue to come....)

I'd have to make AT LEAST twice as much money to "buy" this situation
with my "own" money......IF it could be bought at all!

Sorry for the rambling, but these questions bounce around
occasionally......are salaried university employees ALWAYS employed?
When not at work, who owns their stuff?  What if they use the
office/phone at work?  Don't they all?(yes) and what about
"instructional" photos, taken on their film?  If you haven't signed
a contract, do you own the photo?   Human resource documents prohibit
most of these things.....what about precedent?  Who can and who can't?
When I asked (gently) a few of these question, all it did was raise
blood pressures......NO ONE will touch these questions.....

I attract the living hell out of "lawyer" responses on things that
I >don't< care about, what about these questions?  Marc?  Tom?

CU, Walt

On
Wed,
20