Subject: Re: [Leica] Buying R8, TTL flash ?
From: Alan Ball <AlanBall@csi.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 08:13:16 +0100

Steve,

From what I understand of the R8, it seems like the TTL flash
management uses only the centre weighed global metering ('integral
metering'), not the multisegment nor the spot. A little like what a N90s
does when you mount an AI lens. I find that more predictable IMHO than
Nikon's matrix 3-D (with AF-D lenses) which is extremely efficient but a
little too complex for human beings to control. Not that matrix 3-D
needs to be controlled: it works better than I do.

The flash compensation ratio management is easier to use with the R8
than with the Nikons IMHO. Very intuitive.

The flashmeter function of the R8 is the real bonus: it allows you to
control the output of ANY flash, dedicated or not, and any number of
flashes, through spot metering. Works very well, very clearly, allowing
the usage of constant flash output during a session, whatever the
changes in subject/background relations.

Alan