Subject: Re: [Leica] Buying R8,need advice on lenses
From: Doug Herr <71247.3542@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 04:25:20 -0500

On Wed, 20 Jan 1999, steve wrote:

>well, after migrating from auto and zoom everything Canon eos to Nikon
>manual cameras, I have decided to go for what I want, an R8. Mainly
because
>I want ttl flash with compensation, but not all the extra junk. so, I need
>to spend as little as posible for a starter set of lenses. 35,50,90. Do I
go
>by ser #? I can't afford or won't afford the rom lenses, and I don't want
>go too old if the performance isn't there.Thanks in advance for your
>knowledge, and any leads on equipment.
>Steve

Steve,

Either the Summicrons or Elmarits will work well.  You want either 3-cam or
3rd cam lenses.  I'd look for the newer models with 55mm filter thread for
a few reasons:

) all the lenses would have a built-in shade

) they'd all use the same set of filters or lens caps

) they're certain to have the 3rd metering cam

) the older 35mm Summicron-R with Series VII filter size is rather large
and heavy.

Age isn't much of an issue.  You may find slight improvement with the
current (55mm thread) versions but the old ones are no slouches.

Doug Herr
Sacramento