Subject: Re: [Leica] filter usage + lens tests
From: "Peter C. Palmieri" <palmieri@cybernex.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 11:51:32 -0500

Thank you Peter K. and Jim Brick for your response to my question about
polorazing filters. I will order the mc ones for my R4.

I read the Pop Photo tests on 50mm lens. I have a 50mm 1.4 R lens which I
bought new in the early 80's. Also bought the 35 2.8 and the 135 2.8 new at
the same time. I could never get the quality pictures that I thought that
this outfit should produce. I thought that it was my problem with focusing.
So I switched to Nikons--first an 8008 than N90s. The quality of my photos
improved.

Now having more time on my hands, I thought that I would give the R4 another
try but first I thought that it should be cleaned, adjusted etc. I took it
to Leica in NJ where they found that the light meter was off as well as the
focus. Now I can't wait to get it back to put it through its paces.

All that long-winded introduction to this question: Should I expect to get
as good photos from these older R lenses as compared to the newer ones?
They look so much less expensive used as the new ones. Is it because the new
ones have electronics etc. built into them? Is the glass, formulas etc.
essentially the same?

Thanks for any input.

Peter in NJ