Subject: Re: [Leica] Gurkhas & khukuris - off topic.
From: John Hudson <jahudson@direct.ca>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 09:27:33 -0800

At 04:32 21:01:99 EST,  RBedw51767@aol.com wrote:

>Very interesting and thank you for sharing it with us.  I am very sorry that
>you are out of chemicals.  Please let us know when we can view some of your
>work.  Sounds like a wonderful place to be.
>
>Bob Bedwell
>
><< At 09:33 PM 99-01-20 -0800, you wrote:
> >Hi James,
> >
> >it's my understanding that the Ghurka's of India, incredible soldiers, you
> >really want then on your side in a fight.  Always draw blood when they take
> >their knives from the scabard, even if they nick themselves on the hand or
> >wherever to draw blood on the blade.
> >I beleive it has something to do with their religion and ancient customs.
> >ted
> >
> Hello Ted and greetings all,
>
> 	Sorry Ted, but the Gurkha regiments are from Nepal not India and the story
> about the blood is one of many tall tales told of them.  The knives are
> called khukuri and are used by farmers, guards, regular military and just
> about anyone else who chooses to.  There are thousands of them for sale on

The Gurkhas served with the British forces in the recovery of the Falkland
Islands from the Argentinians in the early 1980s. They had an unusually low
consumption of ammunition. There was an unusually high number of enemy dead
with slit throats. The khukuri is an extraordinarily effective silent
attack weapon.

jh