Subject: Re: [Leica] Contax color rendition
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 14:45:14 -0800

snip

> > Eric,
> >
> > Sorry for doing this again, but here is an opiniated quote by you from 2
> > days ago. You must admit it sounds very different to your statement
> > hereabove. It is difficult to duel with you in those conditions ;-)
> >
> > QUOTE
> > "I meant Zeiss Contax lenses. That is, actually confirmed to me by Blake
> > Ziegler, the father of the Contax G2, and head honcho at Contax USA. All
> > Contax G and SLR lenses are "neutral" by his definition, and Leica is
> > warmer. I agree with him, but for me Leica is neutral and Zeiss is
> > blue."
> > UNQUOTE
> >
> > So : yellow ?  blue ? red ? green ? neutral ?  Till Erwin gets back
> > with  the results of his deviation measurements to the ISO standard,
> > I'll restate my feeling, based on my multiplatform experience (with my
> > less than perfect retina) and respect for CdI benchmarks: there is no
> > systematic color cast to current ranges of lenses from the main
> > respected vendors.
> >
> > Alan
Hate to but in here but it seems like what is happening here is one
fellow is mad at the other fellow because his direct experience doesn't
conform with known facts.
Photography is full of direct experience not conforming with known facts:
1. Expose for the shadows and develop for the highlights is the number
one rule of photography, made to be broken: If your highlights are not
placed carefully through exposure your negative or slide with suffer the most.
2. The one third back focus rule: Almost never the case. The list goes on.

These lens color items don't hold my particular interest but if a guy is
looking at two slides of the same thing taken at the same time processed
at the same time in the same soup I would believe him more than what the
ISO standards say what SHOULD be happening.
Mark Rabiner