Subject: Re: [Leica] A new idea "off topic" lug -list
From: tedgrant@islandnet.com (Ted Grant)
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 07:39:30 -0800

Dr Andreas Frijdal wrote:

>Why don't you try the Rollei or Hasselblad lists as an experience to see how
>boring they are, and you will have only 5 - 10 messages per day.

Hi Andreas,

Gee maybe I should and instigate a scotch topic and really give then
something boring to talk about! :) :) :) :)  Or enliven the conversation.
:):):)

>I'm sure that there might be all kind of suggestions TO LIMIT, NOT ABOLISH,
>the off-topic subjects, a creative lugger could give it some thought and

>But please,  NO POLICING>>>>>>>

Not sure if you meant I was acting as a topic policeman or not? Far be it
for me to do something like that,  given I'm the one who sometimes takes
the exact opposite and starts something about scotch. And Leica of course!
:)  A delightful combination which actually improves ones quality of drink
and pictures, whether Lagavulin, M or R. :)

>For example the whisky and beer thing went on a bit too long, not to mention
>the MS-Mac thing. A special group for R-users?

Gee I thought the Scotch thing started, went for awhile, stopped. Returned,
stopped again and started, then disappeared one more time. Much like our
world shattering disertations on "filters"! :) They come and go depending
on the weather! :)

>A leica-netiguette could be to limit off-topics in principle to one week,
>but than they die out anyway.>>>>>>

I guess leica-netiguette could be practiced more so, but it's a tough call
when using a Leica leads one through a world of such varied topics.
Including what I thought was an interesting ....off topic... about the
Gurkha soldiers of Nepal!  And a Leica using photographer gave us the
information! That's what makes this diverse LUG family something special.
It's never boring, if we keep open minds, we all learn interesting STUFF!
:)

If we as Leica users were a droll group, then everything would remain on
topic and possibly boring. However, the Leica Users Group is a wonderful
bunch of human beings of various cultures, education, professions, likes
and dislikes of life, it just naturally drifts in and out of topics
comletely off the wall.

Surely that can't be a bad thing in this world of communication? As the
Leica topic is the anchour that keeps it together.

Sure the topics slide right off Leica at times, my God if one wants boring
and off the wall....the dictionary posts!!!! :)  But it will die off
shortly and we will have learned something. No matter how knowledgable or
boring it was, one thing for sure........ if I see anything about
dictionaries....DELETE! :) :) :)

How's the wine up in your part of Italy? :)  There you are, a question
about wine and all because of Leica.:) :)

ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant