Subject: RE: [Leica] origin of Leica lenses
From: "Kotsinadelis, Peter (Peter)" <peterk@lucent.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 08:16:34 -0800

I am not trying to come off as an assh--e, but here is what i am trying to
say, which has gotten blown up, and that is that there were several Minolta
lenses for the R years ago.  These were replaced with Leica made lenses
later on.  The Leica designs improved the lenses.  The gentleman who
originally posed the question asked are old lenses as sharp as the new ones.
I said NO!  Leica improved the Minolta designed lenses.  Now I did not say
every one ever made was a Minolta design.  And I am aware that the SLR with
Summilux 50mm F1.4 came out in 1965 when the technical cooperation agreement
with Minolta started in 1971.  But in the early 70s there were several
Minolta lenses for the R3 & 4.

The technicians I have spoken with explained that the newer Leica designed R
lenses are better, and those that were replaced with newer Leica designed
were better lenses.  Is this wrong?  I mean new coating, better glass, etc.
would that not lead to better quality lenses?That's all.

And BTW, I never said anything about Minolta glass.  Minolta has made glass
since 1942, same year Konica started making glass.  Interesting point to
note, Asahi and several other manufacturer buy their glass as does Leica. So
what?  Means nothing.  Its the way you grind/polish and use the glass that
makes the lens.

Peter K