Subject: [Leica] Studying Hebrew
From: Jeffrey Hausner <Buzz@marianmanor.org>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 12:52:45 -0500

Mr. Harrison,

	 I don't know if you are a Jew, I am.  In response to your interest
in studying Hebrew, I did a little research.  Most Reform and Conservative
congregations offer adult education classes in both modern and biblical
Hebrew; the modern language can be quite different from Biblical, but
Biblical is easier to learn because of its limited vocabulary and easier
syntax.  In either case, you begin by learning the alphabet, which is the
biggest challenge.

	If you open the URL
http://www.uscj.org/synagogues.html

you will go to the site of the organization of conservative congregations
which lists 15 congregations in Texas.  The URL
http://uahc.org/cgi-bin/cong.pl?string=XXTX

will take you to the Union of American Hebrew Congregations, which lists
more than 35 congregations in Texas.

	If you call your nearest congregations, ask for the Education
Director, or equivalent person, who should be able to tell you what classes
are available.  In general, I have noticed that non-Jews are welcome for
study at most congregations.

	I hope that you find this information useful.

		Regards,

		Buzz Hausner