Subject: [Leica] Re: XTOL Suddenly Dying
From: "Michael D. Turner" <mike@lcl-imaging.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 11:04:51 -0800

At 09:43 AM 1/22/1999 -0500, Bob Keene/Karen Shehade, you wrote...
<snip>
>This incident taught me the most important lessons of my photography life:
>Important jobs get NEW chemistry and Important jobs get developed
>seperately (not all my film in one basket!)
>So, I haven't used Xtol since- too bad because I really liked it's work.
>Especially when pushing HP5+.
>I can't remember what Kodak's line on shelf life for this developer is; but
>WATCH OUT!!
>Anybody else???

It always amazes me how so many of us (I've done it too) will risk
important work with a couple of bucks worth of questionable developer. I
recently souped some Delta 400 in XTOL that was about 3 mos old--no
problem. Before I use it again, assuming I just can't bear to chuck it and
mix a new batch, I will run a test roll first. The shelf life will vary
considerable depending on storage conditions, including temperature,
exposure to light, how much air is in the top of the bottle. Test first!

- -Mike