Subject: [Leica] Metering highlights revisited.... bracketing
From: "BIRKEY, DUANE" <dbirkey@hcjb.org.ec>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 14:43:12 -0500

I stayed out of the metering for highlights thread......

But in my opinion, bracketing exposures because you don't know how to
correctly use a light meter is a very bad habit to get into.

Why.......... well there are subjects that aren't going to allow you time
to bracket whether you have a motor drive or not.  Non-posed subjects
change positioning and expressions and many times you are lucky to get
one good expression after an hour of waiting around.    Needless to say
you need to get the exposure right...

Obviously if you are photographing a boat, or a building, it's not going
anywhere.  But if a shaft of light hits the boat or a passing boat adds
colorful reflections..... you aren't going to have much time to shoot.

My thoughts on bracketing.....  Well it is better to bracket and get one
image than spend so much time analyzing the scene that you miss the shot
completely.... it's better to bracket and get one good exposure than take
three overexposed ones.....  I generally only bracket exposure on
subjects that have a wide range of contrast.  Generally I'm worried about
how the lighter areas of the scene are going to appear such as in
cathedrals where art  and objects are lit by small floodlights......
Quite frankly the M-6 meter is about as precise in those scenes as a
sledgehammer.  But bracketing is better used as insurance rather than a
primary technique.

In general, my technique is to meter the midtones..... it's a whole lot
easier since that is what the camera is set up to do..... If I'm
photographing people...  I meter the face or look for medium tones....
But I try to pick out what is the most important part of the scene and I
base the exposure around that.   If it's a white building....... meter on
the white and adjust exposure..... or if it's dark, adjust exposure
accordingly.... Spend 15 minutes learning the basic principals of the
zone system as it relates to basic metering technique and you'll be
better off.  "IT'S REALLY NOT THAT HARD FOLKS".

Frankly the easiest way to get underexposed slides is to meter for the
highlights..... You get pretty highlights with that method  but unless
that is the most important part of the scene..... who cares???    If you
meter for the highlights on a backlit subject you'll get a nice
silhouette.    If you are worried about blown-out highlights, change your
shooting position....  or try to eliminate large bright blank parts from
the image area by getting closer to your subject etc....

While bracketing is a useful technique for certain situations..... It's
also a bad habit that will make your overall technique sloppier for other
situations if you rely on it too much.   If a once-in-a-lifetime shot
happens only on the overexposed bracket of the slide you'll never forgive
yourself..... (unquote)  :  )

Duane Birkey

HCJB World Radio
Quito Ecuador