Subject: RE: [Leica] exposure rules
From: tedgrant@islandnet.com (Ted Grant)
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 1999 18:14:21 -0800

Kevin Hoffberg wrote:

 <<<<But without a clear sense of what you're doing and why, it's really
little better than guess work.  I know all about gray cards and mid tones,
and green grass, and zones, and all the rest. >>>>>

Hi Kevin,

And in there lies the problem!  Forget all that crapof mid tones, green
grass, grey cards! Just hold up an incident meter and shoot at what it
tells you. Chances are it'll be perfect!  Or so damn close you'll still
love it without having 22 more frames to compare.

<<<<<<But not all scenes present themselves so neatly and finding something
in the scene that looks to be a mid tone value and then reading it with a
one degree spot meter doesn't ipso facto guarantee a good overall
exposure.>>>>>>

Kevin the only time I ever use a spot meter, and that is the one in the R8,
I stick a long lens on if I really need to spot during some kind of stage
show or spot lit kind of situation.

Other than that an incident meter is going to give you a damn fine exposure
99.9% of the time.  Yes, yes, I know there'll be 22 other people say I'm
wrong, that's their prerogative, however do it my way and it'll work! :)
You'll be a happy camper photographer with a higher ratio of successful
images.:)

Aaaaah! We speak not in jest sir! :):)  The most important thing is having
complete confidence in the equipment you are using and yes experience comes
to play with it, but generally the R8 or M6 meter will give you excellent
exposures if you "trust them!"  Tina and I, as well as many others do trust
our gear or we'd all be carrying a couple of meters going crazy metering
umpteen dozen elements while the sun slowly sinks in the west.

Quite frankly I don't care who it is, but the more you screw around taking
meter readings and all the many thingies that are supposed to give you the
ultimate exposure, composition, the greater the chances are you'll have
merely a technically correct mundane no feeling image of some kind, without
any feeling or emotion attached to it.

>FWIW, the first roll of 120 I shot after this wonderful little thread
>yielded 12 excellent images (including the brackets).  So it helped.>>>>>

Good for you, nice to hear the good side of knowledge available through LUG
has made a photgrapher's day a little better.:)
ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant