Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Passport
From: Walter S Delesandri <walt@jove.acs.unt.edu>
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 19:46:48 -0600 (CST)

Mark, thanks for the post.
Well, I love seeing those photos, too, but the stigma DOES exist...
I didn't say that I had any guilt or ill feelings about using
Leica (I use Nikon, too)....I just know what I've heard.....

My neighbors drive late model cars worth THREE times the value
of my used bodies and lenses, but they "need" that 20K minivan....
Hell, my truck is MUCH older than my "old" Leicas....
But yet my neighbor whistles and rolls his eyes when he sees
my Leicas (his golf clubs cost as much, and he's a schoolteacher!!)

I never understood the mindset that a couple with one kid
"needs" a couple of 20K cars to drive around town, or a
$200K 4 bedroom house to live in (mine cost $39K, and is
plenty nice), but can't possibly "afford" a decent camera
that'll last FIVE TIMES as long as the car!!

>BUT< .......I at least owe NOTHING except my $351 house payment (!!!)
That's right, no car payment, credits cards paid on the first
of each month, cash in pocket for cameras/radios.....

But the "stigma" is real......

Thanks again,
Walt

On