Subject: [Leica] Thanks Tom, was : Softie
From: Lucien <lucien@ubi.edu>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 13:55:46 +0100

LUGers,

This year I was asked to make the illustrated report on the musical
in which both my daughters are acting in.
(65 children from 8 to 18)

Last weekend, the young singers were recording the CD that will be sold
during the six performances at the Cirque Royal in Brussels
(end of March).

I was there with  M6 + 35/1,4 Asph.+ 50/1,4 (1989) + 90/2 (1972) and Tri-X.
(plus Nikon AF + flash)

But more than half of the bulbs in the studio were out!

Result = 1/15 at f1,4.(400 ISO) and no Noctilux or 3200.

I've pushed the Tri-X to 800 and thanks to Tom A's softy
90% of the picts were sharp.
I've tried that before (1/30-f/1,4) and never made it like
that with a 50mm.
(The remaining 10% were slightly blurred when I forgot to use the softy
like Tom taught it to me)

Thanks again Tom, you've really saved me.
(and with the rapidwinder it was the perfect stealth camera)

OK, now!
Next Saturday I will go back there.
What do you suggest?
The same outfit?
Or the same + 3200 ISO (Tmax or Ilford) ?
Or the Noctilux?
Or to buy them some bulbs ?
;-)

I have to say that until now, I was happier with the 50/1,4 than
with the Nocti, that's why I left it.
Was it a wrong use of the shallow depth of field ?
I don't know.

Thanks in advance,

Lucien

N.B. for Mac users:
All the musics and songs were recorded with a Power Mac 9600.
It was incredibly easy, and they saved at least 3 hours of rewinding tapes.
The technician never touched his huge mixing desk!
It was the first time for him. A success!
And a big saving for the production which is not rich.
(non profit organisation)
:-$