Subject: Re: [Leica] Shutter Squeeze of the Day
From: WILLIAM CALDWELL <sneeker@erols.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 00:31:25 -0500

Today (1/26/99) in Washington, DC, I had an appointment and reason to be
on lower Connecticut Avenue, NW.  I was only two blocks from the
Mayflower Hotel, where the media is conducting its present "Monica
Watch," as an adjunct to the Impeachment Proceedings on the Hill.   The
Mayflower is one of the better hotels in Washington, and its staff
certainly knows how to provide accommodation to the media while
providing for its clients.  I thought it might be interesting to squeeze
off a couple of frames of the media stake-out.  When I arrived,
approximately forty to fifty reporters, camera and boom people were
talking and lounging close behind red velvet ropes on each side of the
entrance to the Mayflower.

My equipment was a M with a 2.8 Tele-Elmarit 90mm, which allows
flexibility if you physically move in and out.  On the side of
Connecticut closest to the Mayflower entrance, the Metropolitan Police
had closed the curb lane and were allowing pedestrians to quickly trek
in that lane across the roped opening to the Mayflower.  After taking a
couple of close-ups of the positions that people put themselves in while
they are trying to stay in a semi-state of readiness, I noticed that
there was an open corridor to the Mayflower entrance by shooting from
the other side of the street.

I thought the opposite side would give me a better prospective of the
stake-out gathering with the four brass portals of the Mayflower
entrance and uniformed door man.  Moving over to the opposite side of
the street, the prospective was as I thought and I squeezed a couple
shots off.  A shooter with a big, white auto-focus lens/Canon had the
same idea, and after a minute or two he exclaimed, "That's her luggage."
I thought to myself -- "He knows her luggage?"   By this time a black
SUV had pulled up to the curb, without blocking our photo corridor.
Both the Canon shooter and I moved into the center island between four
yellow traffic lines (I quickly checked for "big white vans" which might
be moving diagonally into the shooting corridor -- there were none).

The media, gathered behind the red ropes, swung into action, and out
walked Monica Lewinksy towards the SUV and into my shooting corridor.  I
squeezed off one at the portal and one just before she ducked her head
to jump into the black SUV.  The next two shots were of the shooting
frenzy around the SUV -- some folks had their zooms pressed to the
windows.  In the next 20 seconds the shooting was over and the black
SUV, with a police squad car leading, sped up Connecticut Avenue to the
northwest.  My M had just collected four to six frames of side bar
history to the Impeachment Proceedings.

Oh, the light was great at about 12:20 pm, as the Mayflower Hotel is on
the east-northeast side of Connecticut Avenue, and it between f/5.6 and
f/8 at 1/250.  I will probably develop the film on Thursday evening to
see what I got.  As an aside, I saw no other Leicas, and I believe that
my M and its 90 were the smallest equipment rig there.  All in all an
interesting 10 to 15 minute shooting day for a non-professional.

Best regards and have great light tomorrow,

Bill Caldwell
Northern Virginia