Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Re: Tripods
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 18:13:40 -0800

I guess I can't let the Tripod thread go by with putting it my two cents.
I think Bogen's are more than adequate classic Italian design but the
moment I first saw a Gitzo it was love at first sight. I have four of them.
My angle here is the tripods I bought for 35 and the ones I got for
brownie have switched. The lighter weight ones are not really tall
enough for eye level use and when they are extended to full range they
are not sturdy enough.
The heavier tripods I got for my heavier Medium format cameras are
overkill at waist level height, I can use the light weight tripods for
that. The heavier tripods are also taller and support the eye level
demands of my 35s as well as when I almost never use the heavy prisms on
the blad or rolleiflex. And I'm not even talking telephoto.
Isn't that Ironic?
Some of the newer heavier Gitso's have things which stick out which make
them easier to twist. Mine doesn't so I was able to get it for cheap. I
put some white Lithium grease in the twist mechanism to keep them at one
with the universe.
Mark :-) Rabiner