Subject: Re: [Leica] plug inside non-TTL M6
From: dmm@bronze.lcs.mit.edu (Andrew M. Moore)
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 1999 08:20:33 -0500 (EST)

I successfully removed the adhesive red dot from my M6, revealing a
triangular cutout behind it, which lets you see parts of the rangefinder.
I can't see any adjustment screw in there though.  What exactly am I
looking for?

Don't try to remove the red dot with a knife blade.  It didn't work :)
Instead, take two non-metallic pointed objects (screwdriver will work,
but it will scratch the dot) and apply force from two opposite directions
near the outside edge of the dot, 180 degrees apart, at the same time.
You'll actually be applying the force to the raised edges of the "Leica"
script.

(view this with non-proportional font)

    | ___
    v/   \
     \___/^

It doesn't take alot of force.  You'll probably notice the dot rotating
slightly at first, then resisting.  Now reverse the direction of each
force, and rotate it the other way.  Do this back and force several times
until it really loosens up, then just peel it off.

To re-apply the dot, you'll need to use new adhesive.  CAREFUL!  When
you remove the old adhesive (it has a rubber-like consistancy), make
sur eyou don't lose any of it down the inside of the opening you just
revealed.

Next week:
  A detailed description of the surgical removal of Black Tape. :)

- ---

Ok, so now that we have the dot removed, where's that adjusting screw??

- --Andrew