Subject: [Leica] 21 or 24 mm M lens: advice sought
From: Christer Almqvist <chris@almqvist.net>
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 1999 14:30:26 +0000

I am getting myself a 21 or a 24 mm lens for my M6 and would like to hear
what you folks think is the "better" one for me.

I shoot black and white only, have a Tele-Elmarit 2.8/90mm and a Summicron
2/35mm. (Yes the physical size of the lens is of a certain importance to me
and I would always go for the smaller one if there is a choice.) I am a
fine grain and sharpness fetischist, but I do not think I need the new ASPH
lenses as I am very satisfied with the performance of my current 35mm and
90mm lenses. Does that limit my choice to 21 mm lenses because the only 24
mm lens is the new ASPH?

I am into available light photography, street photography and portraits
(but portraits is not what I am primarily going to use the new lens for, I
am rather thinking of something like certain Jean Loup Sieff pictures). I
would  be interested in hearing opinions on the
price/(practical-usage-)performance relation of older type 21 mm lenses
provided they can be used with the M6. (I have read what Ervin Put has
written.)

(...and yes, don't hesitate to email me privately if you are a seller.)

- --
christer almqvist
eichenstrasse 57, d-20255 hamburg, fon +49-40-407111 fax +49-40-4908440
14 rue de la hauteur, f-50590 regnéville-sur-mer, fon+fax +33-233 45 35 58