Subject: Re: [Leica] 21 or 24 mm M lens: advice sought
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 1999 16:23:55 -0800

Me personally, I'll be getting the 24 ASPH in the near future the way
things are looking. My plan is to forego the 21 and the 28; I have a 35.
In my previous slr system that I used professionally for 20 years the
widest lens i had was a 24! I had only one job where the 24 didn't cut
it, I hankered for a superwide.
Then I got into Leica on my semi retirement from commercial work 4 years
ago with the obvious idea of getting the famous Schneider 21 3.4.
I noticed at the time in a magazine article most of the white house
photographers carrying around a dozen nikons around their necks with a
Leica and the 21 Super-Angulon.
Articles recently by Erwin Putts have removed the wool from the curtain
of the Schneider Super-Angulon's in my eyes. My dreams mainly end in ASPH.
But now that I'm coming right down to it i'm just going with the 24
which I have no doubt will outclass my Nikon and is in more appropriate
wide angle category of use: a non Retrofocus lens on a Rangefinder camera).
On page 24 of these months Leica Fotografie International the magazine
with the life-size red dot in the top left corner there is a shot of
both lens in silver in full bloom enough to makes one financial juices
start to flow. And there's a guy in a nice pink shirt using one of black
plumage, maybe a 28.
I of course can't say what's best for you but I'm skipping the 21 and 28
and going with the 24. And I think the company is optically progressing
and have faith in its foresight.
Mark Rabiner