Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Leica Televid 77
From: "Roy Zartarian" <royzart@connix.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 1999 20:26:41 +0000

I can't speak to the difference between the APO and non-APO
versions. I have the angled APO and I like it.  Along with a tripod
in the backpack, it is a bit of burden to tote around, but on a good
birding day, the effort is worth it.  And, the red dot peeking out
from the case draws the attention of birders who can be as optically
fanatic as this esteemed group.

For birding I currently have both the 20x and 40x eyepieces.  The 20
gets a lot more use. It does what I want at my usual distances and
is comfortable for extended viewing in such situations as picking
out the three Lapland longspurs among a large flock of snow
buntings. I personally find the view through the 40 too constricting.
On the basis of the performance of a non-Leica zoom eyepiece cranked
up to 60x, I've decided not to include that on my "wish list."  At
that high a power I found only a very small center segment of the
view to be useful, and the out of focus area around that segment was
too distracting.

Yes, the angled scope can be used with the photo adapter, but one
does need to become accustomed to having the camera at a 45 degree
angle.  I have used both an FM2 and an R4 with this rig with mixed
results. One decent example is
http://www.connix.com/~royzart/gfinch.JPG which was taken at a
distance of about fifteen feet at 1/15th sec.  My biggest gripe
about the camera adapter is that, unlike the eyepieces, it is a
thread mount rather than a bayonet mount, and attaching it can
sometimes be a chore when one has a good bird.  As for your N90, I
would imagine that if there is a T mount available in the
marketplace, you can use the camera.  However, your metering will be
either manual (adjusted by shutter speed) or aperture preferred in
which case you'll have to make a judgement call as to whether to
override what the camera tells you (when you're shooting birds on
bright sand, for example).  Remember, too, that you'll have the
equivalent of a fixed aperture f/10-something 800mm lens which won't
allow you much depth of field and which demands high speed film
especially on overcast days to get useable shutter speeds.

One site you might want to check for an objective  review of the
scope is Better View Desired -
http://www.biddeford.com/~sing/BVD.html

Roy