Subject: Re: [Leica] film loading, flip up door
From: tedgrant@islandnet.com (Ted Grant)
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 1999 07:11:54 -0800

>Ben T wrote:
>>
>> To load film into the M6, I always have to flip up the back "door".  The
>> film snags in the top rail and doesn't go in all the way unless I flip
>> up the door and guide the film in.
>>
>> I'm just wondering if this is how everybody does or whether there's a
>> certain technique in loading such that I don't have to flip up the door.>>>>

>Mark Rabiner responded:
>I read in a Leica manual about leaving the door alone and just going for
>it... allow the film to correct itself. I've tried that and I found it
>works more often then not. It pays to trust the camera- of course you
>are watching the rewind crack to make sure is turning for 3 or 4 cranks.
>I've found loading to more more trouble free trusting the camera than
>trying to preset the thing perfectly. And that includes not prekinking
>the end of the film leader, I leave it straight and would strongly
>advise the same.>>>>>

Ben,

I don't want to sound like I'm putting cold water on Mark Rabiner's
response. However, the door is there to "assist loading" simply because if
you had ever tried loading the earlier Leica models with the solid body and
no door, you'd be screaming holy happy toads each time you tried to load
because there wasn't a door.

What I don't understand is why the door opening is such a big deal? It's
quick, efficient and allows much faster loading than screwing around trying
to fiddle the film into place.

I load both ways, door open and closed depending on circumstance or finger
motivavtion. My simple advice is:  Flip the door open insert film, bottom
plate on, advance a couple times while checking the re-wind handle to
ensure the film is advancing and it's wham bam thankyou ma'm and your M
camera is loaded in the blink of an eye.

Hope this simplyfies your loading technique.
ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant