Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: digital vs film ...help
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 1999 08:42:30 -0500

At 06:49 AM 2/2/99 +0100, you wrote:
>A provocative question as a conclusion (not aimed at you specifically,
>Jim): why are some of us so defensive on the input side of things at
>shooting stage and, at the same time, so relaxed on the usage of crummy
>scanners and consumer grade inkjet printers to produce the output from
>our precious Leica APO-ASPH-f1 whatevers ?
>
>I find that the proponents of inkjet printing of Leica images before
>2049 should be submitted to the same instantaneous flaming as the
>proponents of digital as an alternative to film !  ;-)
>
>Alan
>Brussels-Belgium

Hi, Alan -

I respectfully disagree.  My Leica images scanned with the Nikon LS-2000
and printed on the Epson PhotoEx are better than the Cibachromes that take
so much work in the darkroom.  I'm just talking about color here.  I'm
still working on the best method for scanning B&W.  The only problem with
the inkjet printers is the fading.  Epson is working on that and is
supposed to have a solution soon.  The scans from the LS-2000 are better
than Kodak CD's and the equal of drum scans.  I love film and cannot see
the day that I will go totally digital because of the quality of the
cameras, not the scanners and printers.

Leically,

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP