Subject: Re: [Leica] Enlarging lens
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 1999 12:19:09 -0800

RBedw51767@aol.com wrote:

> Mark:
>
> Thank you for your comments.
>
> I have intended to do a direct comparison between the El-Nikkors and the
> Rodagons.  I should do this.   I have begun using the Nikkors more because I
> think, without intense scrutiny, that I like the images from them better than
> the Rodagon. Jim Brick reference a book about enlarger lenses in a recent post
> that I will order today.  There is relatively little that I can find on the
> subject.
>
> I would be interested to know which enlarger and lense that you use.  My next
> major purchase will be a 4x5 enlarger but have no idea which one to purchase.
> It will be for black and white only.  I would love to see a comparison between
> a Focotar and an APO Rodagon.
>
> Thanks again for your input.
>
> Bob

I use El-Nikkors: 50, 80, 135, I also have a 75 somewhere which directly
compares very unfavorably to the 80 which would explain its much lower
price. A color rental lab I use has Nikkor so there I also use the 105
and 180 both higher priced lenses and a half step up from the others.
They are workable standards of the industry just like Nikon cameras. As
I having gotten into Leica cameras I am of course looking for sometime
pristine and inspiring more than standard to print with as well.
I too, I would love to see a comparison between a Focotar and an APO
Rodagon. I'm rooting for the Focatar but am getting prepared for a
struggle to lay my hands on one when it wins. Either a 40, 50 or 100 I
think. I'm sure you'll tell us about this book on enlarger lenses.
Schneider might win out in the end for me.
I use the Nikkor 80 on my 35mm and am looking for something better
and/or faster. The lens is not at all bad, it just doesn't excite me.
I'm usually not this frivolous with equipment, once something works for
me, I marry it. Of course, camera wise my nikons have pretty much fallen
to the way side. They have as much nostalgia as the fact that to try to
sell them would be silly because they are worth little dollar wise.
Mark Rabiner