Subject: Re: [Leica] B&W output from digital devices
From: RBedw51767@aol.com
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 17:23:53 EST

I would sure hate to think that prints from an Epson printer would rival what
I am gettiing from my darkroom.  I am far from a professional and really don't
desire to be one or to do exhibition prints.  I have extreme pride of
ownership after working on a print and finally getting one that is worthy of
mounting.  I will never posess this feeling from an ink-jet printer.  The word
to come to my mind when I think of this process is prostitution.  Personally,
there is something about using a mechanical piece of art like an M6 with a
state of the art lense and making a print on an ink-jet printer that violates
the photographic art process.   This is not exciting to me.   However, to use
a scanner, photo software program and an ink-jet printer to get a proof, would
be acceptable.  I do understand that technology is rapidly changing and I am
certainly open to new ideas but it will never eliminate my love of the smell
of hypo!

I hope, at least there are several LUGGERS that share my feelings on this
subject.

Bob Bedwell

<<
     What is the best B&W output method for digital images? Can you obtain
 output that is like, or as good as a fine B&W print? What is the cost for
 good B&W output, if it's avaible at all?
     Thanks,
     Joe Stephenson

     Joe - IMO you can get black and white prints to rival good traditional
 B&W printing - not necessarilly top lab exhibition quality, but certainly
 better than average - using nothing fancier than PhotoShop or its equivalent
 and the Epson Stylus 700. Try printing either on the Epson photo paper, or
 on plastic inkjet film, and you will be really astounded at the results.